Please see 2021-10-19 weekly discussion on GitHub Discussions.
Topic: Views prototype design review
Attendeees: Brent, Ghislaine, Kriti, Pavish, Sean
- Need to add full create view flow to the prototype
- Add setting lookup columns to the prototype
- Make sure to add all Figma flows to the prototype from other issues as well
- We need different flows for one-to-many and many-to-many relationships in views
- Perhaps ask the user what type they want
- They should also be able to modify this later
- Don’t automatically make mapping tables for one-to-many relationships
- Separate relationships from views
- When user wants to create a relationship, ask if you want to:
- link to one record: create a FK in the current table
- link to multiple records: create a FK in the other (related) tables
- many to many: create a mapping table
- Then we can suggest creating a view to show the summary view
- Views can have summary columns
- Create new design issues and update existing issues for Views
- We’ll close existing design discussions and open new ones
- Set up calls for reviewing future designs as needed (review async first)
- Views should be about specific columns, not a whole table
- Saving filters, sorts, etc. is also views, so that involves a whole table
- Don’t constrain view creation to just one flow since they serve so many purposes
Improvements to process:
- Be on the same page about the schema we’re working with
- e.g. we were all modeling track-album-artist differently in our heads, made talking about it difficult
- Also specify functionality and technical constraints
Please see 2021-10-12 weekly discussion on GitHub Discussions.
- Kriti’s availability
- Kriti’s workload has been too heavy, leaving little time for focused work.
- Initiatives like ‘Comms Assignee’ useful to make workload more manageable.
- More PR reviews to be delegated to team members. – using the ‘assign’ functionality
- Milestone deadlines
- All deadlines moved to end of December to reduce bureaucracy, deadlines are mostly for priority.
- Weekly planning
- Weeks will not be planned in advance, people should just move tasks to active when they need work
- New project walkthrough
- New GitHub project to start being used internally, public availability pending.
- New project to eventually replace current projects view.
- UCB design project
- We’re working with UCB student design class on a project
- image view plugin design
- let users view images linked to within Mathesar
- Hiring update and plan
- Backend interviews ongoing
- Interviews will happen in parallel with code tasks
Please see 2021-10-05 weekly planning on GitHub Discussions.